Tuesday 10 September 2013

Sunny Scotland

 The land of rolling hills, brick roads, granite buildings and hypnotic brogues. Scotland is ACE. I never would have imagined that out of all places in the world Scotland would be the place I would constantly try to get back to. First off, the accents never seize to amaze me, "Aye, such a wee lil bonnie." Secondly, the banter is beyond belief and finally whoever calls a hug a bosie deserves one... I mean bosie, come on; the word within itself sounds so cozy!
 You can expect to be offered a cup of tea whenever you enter someone's home, whenever you wake up in the morning or as an after meal treat. A Scottish cup o' tea is the sweetest thing running but even more satisfying is when you have mastered the ability of making a fine cup - a feeling of pride is not an uncommon experience.
 Scotland has been the place where: being an outsider I automatically felt accepted, learning to laugh at myself with ease, owning my awkwardness and enjoying life for what it is. I now understand why soccer is called football, pants are called trousers and being cold is Baltic. In a land where cars are mini, roads are narrow, scarves are common place and little dogs roam... my heart felt in love.
 As an old timer Leckie once said to me, a smile strewn across his face, eyes on the Newtonhill football match:"No one is to swear, smoke or spit," all the while lighting up a cigarette, hawking a loogie and cursing the opposite team. This place is full fun loving conundrums!

1 comment: